Lingsen Meng

I am an assistant professor in the Department of Earth, Space and Planetary Sciences (EPSS) at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). My research is focused on the earthquake physics, where I use both observational and numerical approaches for problem-solving. Over the years, I have developed advanced source imaging techniques with applications on recent large earthquakes, such as the 2010 Haiti and Chilean, the 2011 Tohoku-Oki, the 2012 off-Sumatra and the  2013 Okhotsk deep-focus earthquakes. The observational constraint from such fine imaging allows me to conduct dynamic simulations to address open questions in earthquake physics. I am also interested in mitigating seismic and tsunami hazard through Earthquake Early Warning (EEW). I am developing a next-generation EEW system composed of small-scale seismic arrays that track the rupture growth and directivity effect in real time. I am also interested in applying novel numerical approaches in other problems of earth science. For example, I developed new techniques to quantify the marine magnetic anomaly patterns. This work allows to locate the paleo-magnetic equator and constrain the past motion of the Pacific plate. I also worked on modelling crustal deformation and salt dome evolution with the discrete element method.